If you need to import lots of people at once, you can do so using our Import feature.
There are multiple stages to this feature:
- Setting up and downloading your Import template
- Preparing your Import template
- Up-loading and importing your users
- Sending invitations and Downloading welcome packs
Setting up your import template
- In the Admin Portal, underneath the User Management heading, choose Users.
- Click on import user's and navigate to the import page and click on Start an Import
- Click on the top box - Download Import Template
- Next, you will be taken to a page where you can select teams that exist in your organization. Selecting teams in this list will add them to your import template allowing you to ensure that users start off in the right places and have access to everything in Hub and feed from the moment they register. This is optional, If you do not select a team, the users will automatically be added to the default team during registration.
Type the names of the teams you want to include in the template into the Add to import template box. Once you've selected all the teams that you want to add your users to click Next.
- You will now see two options for your Import template. You'll need to download the best template for the software that you'll use to fill out the template.
Microsoft Excel - You'll need to download the .XLS template
Anything else - You'll need to download the .CSV template.
Preparing your import template
- Open your import template in an editor of your choice.
- Add user information
The more information you add now the easier it will be for your users to register.
- Add users to teams
If you selected teams to add to your template from step 2 you should see these teams as columns in the template file. Add an X in that column to add a user to that team.
- Add user information
- Save your file
Whether you started with a .xls or .csv template you'll need to save your completed import template as .csv to re-upload it.
In the import template, each user row MUST contain one or more of the following:
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- Job Title
- First Name or Last Name
|Email Address||Yes/Optional||The user's email address. This is optional if you provide a telephone number for the respective user. If you provide both the first name and the surname of the user, the email address is no longer necessary to upload the file.|
|Telephone Number||Yes/Optional||The user's telephone number. This is optional if you provide an email address for the respective user. If you provide both the first name and the surname of the user, the telephone number is no longer necessary to upload the file.|
|Yes/Optional||The user's first name. This is optional if you provide a telephone number or an email address of the respective user.|
|Yes/Optional||The user's last name. This is optional if you provide a telephone number or an email address of the respective user.|
|Yes/Optional||The user's job title within the company. This is optional if you provide a telephone number or an email address or both first name and second name of the user.|
|Optional||The user's department name. This is optional if you provide a telephone number or an email address or both first name and second name of the user.|
|Optional||The user's ID number. This is optional if you provide a telephone number or an email address or both first name and second name of the user.|
|Optional||The user's company name. This is optional if you provide a telephone number or an email address or both first name and second name of the user.|
|Optional||This is a team within the org you wish the user to belong to. This is optional. You chose these during the download of the import template. To select the team you place an X in the corresponding team's field. If you do not select a team, the users will automatically be added to the default team during registration.|
Some columns need extra attention. Review your fields as described below.
The email address should be unique to the user. If they do not have an email with your organisation's domain, this is fine, as you're inviting them through the Admin Portal we will automatically add them to your organisation.
- Each number must be a mobile number, no landlines allowed
- Each number must be written in the international format (UK +44, CH +41, DE +49)
- Check if each number is of the same length, shorter or longer numbers often indicate that they're invalid
Uploading your template and importing users
- Head back to the Blink import wizard and click Next to get to the Import users* page where you'll be asked to name your import and re-upload your import file.
We recommend using the department name or another name to help other administrators know who was imported
To re-upload your file, click on Browse to locate your completed import template on your computer
*If you closed the window you can click skip on the very first page of the wizard to skip through to the section where you'll import your users.
- Click Next to start processing the import.
Imports can take up to 10 minutes and we'll email you as soon as it's complete.
- Once your import is complete you will see a success message and receive an email informing you if it has worked or not.
What to do once your import is complete?
Providing there are no errors in the import template you will receive an email from us letting you know that all of your users have been imported.
In order to get everyone signed up you will need to either send them invitations from Admin or Download and hand out our personalized Welcome Packs.
To invite users
- Head back to the imports page
- Locate the import and click on Send invitations.
Downloading personalized Welcome Packs
You can download personalized invitations for everyone in the import or download them individually from each users profile.
- Head back to the imports page
- Click on the ⋮ button
- Click on Download Welcome Packs from the menu that appears
Errors with your import template
If there are any errors with the import template the import will fail and none of your users will be imported to Blink. You will be shown a list of errors and all you need to do is fix those errors and then re-upload the full import template again.
- Head back to the import page
- Click on the import that has failed
- From here you can see each error, line by line. Open your import template and correct the errors
- Re-upload your file and press Next
- We will try to import your users again and email you to let you know if it has worked. If it doesn't work you will need to repeat these steps